There are innumerable bits and bobs lying around inside the church from mediocre water colours to monastic masonry. They were mostly collected by William Maurice Wright.
Attached below is a paragraph from an article about the reuse of older stone in the rebuilding of churches in the victorian era, in which Wold Newton is given as the prime example of the reuse and collection of monastic stone to legitimise a modern church building. The author erroneously attributes the collection of stone from other buildings to the Reverend Wingfield-Bourke, who oversaw the rebuildng of the church in the 19th century, rather than to the real culprit, WM Wright who added it later.
Bric-a-brac in the church
|Selection||File type icon||File name||Description||Size||Revision||Time||User|
|from Rubbish Recycled: A study of the re-use of stone in Lincolnshire by David Stocker with Paul Everson in Stone: Quarrying and Building in England, AD 43-1525 edited by David Parsons||135k||v. 1||24 Apr 2010, 09:39||Christopher Buckle|