WOLD NEWTON (or NEWTON-LE-WOLD) is a village and parish, in the Northern division of the county, parts of Lindsey, Bradley Haverstoe wapentake, Caistor union, Grimsby county court district, diocese of Lincoln and archdeaconry of Stow, and rural deanery of Grimsby (No. 1). The village is situated in a valley on the road, 81/2 miles north-west of Louth, the like distance south from Great Grimsby, about 10 south-east from Caistor, and 4 west from North Thoresby station on the East Lincolnshire railway. The church of All Saints, situated on an eminence, and entirely rebuilt in 1862, is a small structure, in the Early English style, consisting of apsidal chancel, and nave, with an octagonal bell turret, surmounted by an elegant spirelet. The register dates from 1578. The living is a rectory, yearly value £476, with residence and 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held by the Rev. Charles Bird Jackson, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. Here is a National school, supported by subscription, and a small Primitive Methodist chapel. William Wright, esq., is lord of the manor, and the whole of the parish, with the exception of the glebe lands, belongs to him. The soil is a heavy loam ; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, and turnips. The area is 2,060 acres ; rateable value, £2,531 ; and the population in 1871 was 180.
Parish Clerk, Henry Mumby
Letters through Great Grimsby. Binbrook & Waltham are the nearest money order offices
National School, Henry Mumby, master
Jackson Rev. Charles Bird, M.A. [rector]
Iles Francis Walwyn, farmer