Post Office Directory Lincolnshire 1861

WOLD NEWTON, or NEWTON-LE-WOLD, is a village and parish in the hundred of Bradley Haverstoe, Caistor union, and Lindsey division of the county, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Lincoln, deanery of Grimsby.  The village is situated in a valley on the turnpike road, 9 miles north-west of Louth, the like distance south from Great Grimsby, about 9 south-east from Caistor, and 4 west from Thoresby station on the East Lincolnshire railway.  The living is a rectory, annual value £476, with residence, and 20 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held by the Hon. and Rev. George Wingfield Bourke, M.A., chaplain of the Archbishop of York.  The church (All Saints) is a plain edifice, standing on an eminence, but much in need of repair.  Here is a National school, supported by subscription, and a small Primitive Methodist chapel.  The area of the parish is 2,060 acres, the rateable value is £2,637 3s. 6d., and the population in 1851 was 179.  The Earl of Yarborough is the lord of the manor.

 Bourke Hon. and Rev. George Wingfield, M.A. [rector]                                     

Elger Elizabeth (Mrs.), mistress of National school, & post office receiving house

Elger William, master of National school

Ellsey George, parish clerk

Iles Francis Walwyn, farmer

Mumby Henry, tailor

Robinson William, farm bailiff

Smith Edward, blacksmith & shopkeeper

Wright William, farmer

 POST OFFICE.- William Elger, receiver.  Letters arrive and are dispatched by mail cart from Great Grimsby, 10.30 a.m.  The nearest money order office is at Great Grimsby

Primitive Methodist Chapel, ministers various

National School, William Elger, master ; Mrs. Elizabeth Elger, mistress


Back

Comments