WOLD NEWTON (or NEWTON-LE-WOLD) is a village and parish, 10 miles S. by W. of Grimsby, and contains 180 souls, and 2060 acres of land, nearly all the property of William Wright, Esq., the lord of the manor. The Church (All Saints), is a small, but neat structure, in the Early English style, rebuilt in 1862. The benifice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 10s. 10d., and now at £476,in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and the incumbency of the Rev. John Moss Webb, M.A. , who has 20 acres of glebe, and a good residence, which was built in 1856. Here is a large tumulus, in which twenty urnswere found in 1828. In the village is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1849; and in the parish is a National school, supported by subscription.
DIRECTORY :-William Dyas, foreman ;George Elsey, parish clerk ; Francis Walwyn Isles, farmer and landowner ; John Johnson, shopkeeper ; Henry Mumby, tailor and National schoolmaster ; Robert Parratt, foreman ; Rev. John Moss Webb, M.A., rector ; and William Wright, farmer and landowner.
Letters via Grimsby ; but Binbrook is the nearest Money Order Office.