Houses

This will be a record of the people who have lived in the houses in the village with a short explanation of the name of each house, to the extent that it has any historical or local interest.  The details of the people up to 1911 will be drawn largely from the national censae, but from then we shall be relying on memory, so please contact us if we've got anything wrong. The pairs of red brick cottages throughout the village, built 100 or more years ago, generally had no names until they were recently named to reflect the occupations of the last occupants before the passing of the era during which most of the people in the village were engaged in, or in some way connected to, agriculture.  The list below runs from North to South:

Chalk Cottage (formerly two cottages)
Rectory Cottages (formerly two or three cottages)
Post Office Cottages (formerly two cottages - one was the Post Office and the other was occupied by the Manor gardener)
Kendal Cottage (built in the 1970s on the site of two cottages)
Dionard House (formerly two cottages)

Subpages (36): View All
Comments