Wold Newton Archives‎ > ‎Houses‎ > ‎

Scallows


Not strictly within the parish of Wold Newton but in the north east corner of the parish of Binbrook, it nevertheless is spiritually part of Wold Newton.
The house may have been built by the Goodhand family of Binbrook, formerly of Wold Newton, but certainly owned  by the Beckett-Denison family of the Grimthorpe estate  from South Yorkshire, (not the Grimsthorpe estate from South Lincolnshire) from around 1780 until 1905,  but rented to the Wright family for most of that time.  John Wright, who farmed at South Farm and at Haugh near Alford was the first to rent it and live there.  After the Grimthorpe estate sold it to pay the second baronet's death duties, it was bought by the Dennis estate from Kirton near Boston, before being sold again in 1907 after being offered to the Squire, William Wright, who declined to pay what they sought. It was bought by Miss Jenny Brewster (right), the daughter of the Rector of South Kelsey, who lived there until her death in a fall from a horse on the Click'em lane, Wold Newton, in 1932, reported in the newspaper clipping below.   She was a good friend of the Squire, and a churchwarden of Wold Newton church.  She left the house to the Squire, who subsequently put his sister, Louisa, the widow of Jack Burkinshaw, to live in there until her death in 1950.


The earliest references currently found for Scallows are three references in the 18th century to an ox-pasture called the Scallow in the parish of Binbrook.



Recorded in Lincs Archives as 'A lease for a year', the below courtesy of the LincstothePast website.

  1. Reference Name WEBB/2/1

Daniel Waldegrave of Fotherby, gent,
Daniel Waldegrave of Great Grimsby (second son of Daniel Waldergrave the elder),
Thomas Leafe of Keddington, yeoman.

A messuage in Binbrook St Gabriel, a close of pasture adjoining of 2a., another close of pasture called cap close of 1a., another close called the sheep house close of 1a., another called pasture close of 2a., 3 platts of meadow in Langhill, 120 a. of arable dispersed in the east field and 120a. dispersed in the west field; a cottage with a yard and onsett adjoined of 1r., cowgates or pasture for 2 cows to be taken upon a place by Orford bridge, 6 oxgates or pasture for 6 oxen to be taken in a place called Scallow, and common of pasture for 12 beasts on the cow pasture, all in the occupation of William Green and all in the above parish; all the lands of the Waldegraves in Binbrook except a cottage in the tenure of widow Rowson.
Signed and sealed by both Waldegraves.
Endorsed no.3.

The release seems to be missing.

Date: 23 Mar 1720


The Act of Enclosure for Binbrook parish was passed in 1740, at the proposition of Thomas Goodhand, being then Lord of the Manor of Binbrook, with a Charles Goodhand being both Rector of St Mary's and Vicar of St Gabriel's.  Other major landowners in the parish include Charles Sturges, clerk, one of the Prebendaries of Lincoln and lord of the Prebend Manor of Binbrook, the Honourable Thomas Willoughby esquire, Sir Richard Ellis Baronet, Edmund Turner esq, and many others.  Which branch of the Willoughby family is represented here will be interesting.  Edmund Turner is of the family from Panton near Wragby who held large estates in the area, (think of the Turnor Arms at Wragby).  Amongst the nine commissioners appointed to oversee the Enclosure, are David Fields of Thorganby, presumably a descendant of the David Field of Swinhope who was one of the lenders to William Welfitt, and Edmund White of Autby, whose family held the last piece of Wold Newton that Pelham eventually acquired around 1770.


In the Act, a specific paragraph refers to “the Ox-pasture, lying in a place called the Scallow, in the parish of Binbrook, shall continue and remain, and be used and depastured by the Inhabitants of Binbrook by such Stint, and in such manner, and under such Regulations, as the same is and hath been occupied, stinted and depastured before the passing of this Act”.


To find a copy of the survey conducted as required by the Act, in 1739, would be fantastic.


The below, again courtesy of LincstothePast.


Attested copies of conveyances, various properties

Reference Name TUR/10/1/14

Messuage or tenement; another messuage cottage or tenement; close of meadow or pasture called Stoneham Close; 150a. arable lands in the fields of Binbrook; close of meadow or pasture called Grange Close; another close in Saltfleetby All Saints.
William Micklethwaite to Dickinson Knight; to Thomas Partridge, 1727-1747.
Copies 1784.

Messuage or tenement with barns, stables, and appurtenances and little close of meadow or pasture ground to the same adjoining (2a.); another messuage called the Sign of the George and little close of meadow or pasture ground belonging (2a.) called Baste Ings; another messuage or tenement with appurtenances and little close of meadow or pasture to the same belonging; piece of ground containing 362a. 2r. 3p., being part of 3,000a. of the common fields and common grounds in the lordship of Binbrook; another piece of ground called Scallow (189a. 19p.) being part of the ...residue of the lands and grounds in the common fields and common grounds of Binbrook, and cattle gates in the cow pasture. Copyhold messuage called Panton Farm, with three closes of pasture and 140a. arable land in each field, one cottage or tenement with onset, and one other cottage with arable land belonging.
Mortgages and conveyance in trust by Goodhand family, 1761-1781, copies 1782-1785.

Manor and estates including Binbrook Hill Farm and Binbrook Home Farm. Contract for sale.
Frances Johnson, Robert Johnson and George Booth to John Turnor, Samuel George Smith, Henry Foulis and Frederick Manning, 1833; copy 1834
Copies 1782-1834


This seems to record the Turnor family extending their holding in Binbrook, and acquiring the Scallows land from the Goodhand family, (who have apparently acquired the land in Scallow, previously common land) as well as the Binbrook Hill and Home Farms, (which probably then becomes the Binbrook Hall farm), which subsequently together are sold in 1907 by the Grimthorpe estate, presumably having bought them from the Turnor estate.   Both the Micklethwaite and the Goodhand families were involved in Wold Newton in the previous century,


The below, again courtesy of lincstothepast is the 'listing' description for Scallows Hall.  I think the historical details come from the Squire and Michael Sleight.


Description:
PRN 45846
House, built in 1780 with alterations and additions in 1820. Built by lord Grimthorpe as a hunting lodge. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.


Maybe the Grimthorpe estate really owned this in 1780.  We know John Wright came to Wold Newton, marrying Margaret Searle in 1788, and dying at 'Binbrook Hall', which is Scallows, in 1838 and the Wrights stayed there until 1860 or so.



Comments