The land on which the chapel was built was leased to the chapel trustees by the Yarborough Estate for 99 years on 22nd May 1849 at a rent of £1 per annum. The freehold was included in the Wold Newton estate when it was purchased by the Wright family in 1871.
With the Methodist Union in 1932, the Chapel congregation became part of the wider Methodist movement.
On 4th February 1946, having inherited the freehold, William Maurice Wright gave it to the chapel trustees, an odd thing to do as it must already by then have been in decline.
The names and descriptions of the trustees on 2nd December 1901 and the reasons for their having ceased to be trustees by the time of the gift of the freehold on 4th February 1946 are given below:
It appears that as the local trustees died off, they were not replaced. By 1946 only two remained and they were augmented by 19 new Trustees, only one of whom, George Davey, lived in the village, the others being mainly from North Thoresby and two from Grainsby.
Only 10 years after WM Wright had given the trustees the freehold of the Chapel, it closed and, on 16th October 1956, he bought it back from them for £50.
The chapel then remained empty and unused until it was converted into a cottage by Christopher Ollard in the early 1970s.
Wold Newton Archives >