In 1828 an Anglo-Saxon burial was discovered by road workers quarrying gravel and was subsequently excavated to uncover some cremation urns. William Maurice Wright mentions that the urns were excavated in the field Swinhope Walk. See the fields page.
Exactly whereabouts in Swinhope Walk is a mystery. There is gravel in the soil of the south western corner, which is the highest part of the field, indeed the highest point on the west side of the parish, on the ridge which runs north to south along its western edge. However, the profile looking at the north western corner from further down the Click'em lane is suggestive of a tumulus but, equally, may be no more than the natural undulation of the landform. The western end of the field is in close proximity to three old pits, possibly gravel pits.
It seems that after excavation three of the urns were sent to the Society of Scottish Antiquaries. One of them is now on display in the North Lincolnshire Museum, Scunthope (see left), on loan from the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. It dates from the 5th, 6th or early 7th century A.D. The others seem to be lost. We'll give a reward to anyone who can tell us where they are.