Kelly’s Lincolnshire Directory 1868
WOLD NEWTON (or NEWTON-LE-WOLD) is a village and parish, in the Northern division of the county, parts of Lindsey, Bradley Haverstoe wapentake, Caistor union, Grimsby county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Lincoln, and rural deanery of Grimsby (No. 1). The village is situated in a valley on the road, 81/2 miles north-west of Louth, the like distance south from Great Grimsby, about 10 south-east from Caistor, and 4 west from North Thoresby station on the East Lincolnshire railway. The church of All Saints situated on an eminence, and entirely rebuilt in 1862, is a small but neat structure, in the Early English style, consisting of nave and apsidal chancel, with an octagonal bell turret, surmounted by an elegant spirelet. The register dates from 1578. The living is a rectory, annual value £476, with residence and 11 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Lichfield, and held by the Rev. John Moss Webb, M.A. , of Clare College, Cambridge. Here is a National school, supported by subscription, and a small Primitive Methodist chapel. The Earl of Yarborough is the lord of the manor; and, with the exception of the glebe lands, the whole of the parish belongs to him. The soil is a heavy loam ; subsoil chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, and turnips.
The area is 2,060 acres, and the population in 1861 was 189.
Parish Clerk, George Elsey.
Letters through Great Grimsby. Binbrook is the nearest money order office
National School, Henry Mumby, master
Iles Francis Walwyn, esq
Iles Robert J. esq
Webb Rev. John Moss, M.A. [rector]
Wright William, esq
Iles Francis Walwyn & Robert J. farmers and landowners
Mumby Henry, tailor
Smith Edward, shopkeeper
Wright William, farmer