White’s Directory 1882
WOLD NEWTON or Newton-le-Wold is a village and parish, 10 miles S. by W. of Grimsby, and contained 165 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2060 acres of land, nearly all the property of the trustees of the late William Wright, Esq., who are also lords of the manor. It is in the Parts of Lindsey, Caistor union, Grimsby county court district and petty sessional division, Bradley Haverstoe wapentake, Holton-le-Clay polling district of North Lincolnshire, and Grimsby (No. 1) rural deaconry. Its rateable value is £2592. The CHURCH (All Saints), is a small, but neat structure, in the Early English style, rebuilt in 1862. In 1875 a stained-glass window was inserted in the chancel, to the memory of the late Rev. John Moss Webb, M.A., a previous rector ; also windows to the memory of the late Maurice and Mrs. Wright ; and another in 1880 to the late Wm. Wright. The benifice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 10s. 10d., and now at £476,in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and the incumbency of the Rev. Chas. B. Jackson, M.A. , who has 12 acres of glebe land, and a good residence, which was built in 1856. Here is a large tumulus, in which twenty urns were found in 1828. In the village is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1849; and in the parish is a National school, supported by subscription.
LETTERS via Grimsby ; but Binbrook is the nearest Money Order Office.
Bates Thos. fmr. ; h East Ravendale
Jackson Rev. Charles Bird, M.A. rector, Rectory
Mumby Hy. parish clk. & schlmstr
Robinson B.W. foreman
Sharpley Coates, farmer ; h Kelstern
Smith Elijah, foreman
Wright Mrs. Elizabeth Walton, Wold Newton house
Grimsby News 24th. June 1887