White's Directory 1892
WOLD NEWTON or Newton-le-Wold is a village and parish, 10 miles S. by W. of Grimsby, in the Parts of Lindsey, Grimsby union, county court district and petty sessional division, Bradley Haverstoe wapentake, and Grimsby (No. 1) rural deaconry of Stow archdeaconry. It had 172 inhabitants in 1891, and comprises 2060 acres of land. The rateable value is £1879. The Trustees of the late William Wright are lords of the manor and owners of nearly all of the soil. Wold Newton HOUSE is the residence of Mrs. Wright.
The CHURCH (All Saints), is a small structure, in the Early English style, rebuilt in 1862. In 1875 a stained glass window was inserted in the chancel, to the memory of the late Rev. John Moss Webb, a previous rector; also windows to the memory of the late Maurice and Mrs. Wright, the late William Wright, and to the memory of Mrs . Drake and Miss Wright. The benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 10s. 10d., and now at £476, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, and the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Bird Jackson, M.A., who has 12 acres of glebe land, and a good residence, which was built in 1856. Here is a large tumulus, in which twenty urns were found in 1828. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1849. There is a National school, supported by subscription.
WALL LETTER box cleared at 3 p.m. Letters via Grimsby ; but Binbrook is the nearest Money Order and Telegrpah Office.
Birkett Edward, blacksmith
Coates Thomas farmer; h East Ravendale
Crexford Mrs Rose Margaret, National schoolmostress
Dobbs Charles, farm bailiff
Hitchinbottom Wray, shopkeeper
Jackson Rev Charles Bird, M.A. rector, The Rectory
Robinson Joseph, carpenter
Sharpley Coates, farmer ; h Kelstern
Smith Elijah, farm bailiff
Wright Mrs. Elizabeth Walton, Wold Newton house
RAILWAY. - North Thoresby is the nearest station