White’s Lincolnshire Directory 1842
WOLD NEWTON, or Newton-in-the-Wolds, is a village and parish, 8 miles N.N.W. of Louth, and contains 158 souls, and 2060 acres of land, nearly all the property of the Earl of Yarborough, the lord of the manor; and in two farms, one occupied by Mrs. Wright, and the other by a non-resident. The Church (All Saints) is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 10. 10d., and now at £400, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham. Here is a large tumulus, in which twenty urns were found in 1828, and they have been preserved by the Rev. G. Oliver. The principal parishioners are Mrs. Wright and Fras. Iles, farmers ; Mr. Mason, farm bailiff ; and Edward Smith, blacksmith.