White’s Lincolnshire Directory 1856
WOLD NEWTON, or Newton-in-the-Wolds, is a village and parish, 10 miles S. by W. of Grimsby, and contains 179 souls, and 2060 acres of land, nearly all the property of the Earl of Yarborough, the lord of the manor. The Church (All Saints) is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 10. 10d., and now at £476, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Langley Maltby, of Grimsby, for whom a Rectory House is about to be built. The glebe is 20A. Here is a large tumulus, in which twenty urns were found in 1828. In the village is a small Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1849.
Iles Francis Walwyn, Esq. farmer Robinson Wm. farm bailiff
Wright Wm. farmer, and Mrs. M. Smith Edward, shopr. & blacksmith
Elger Wm. schoolmaster POST OFFICE at Wm. Elgers. Letters via
Mumby Henry, tailor Grimsby