Houses

This will be a record of the people who have lived in the houses in the village with a short explanation of the name of each house, to the extent that it has any historical or local interest. The details of the people up to 1911 will be drawn largely from the national censae, but from then we shall be relying on memory, so please contact us if we've got anything wrong. The 11 pairs of farm workers' cottages which form that backbone of the village, built from about the mid 19th century up to the early 20th century, generally had no names until they were recently named to reflect the occupations of the last occupants before the passing of the era during which most of the people in the village were engaged in, or in some way connected to, agriculture. The list below runs from North to South:

Petterhills

North Farm Cottages (North)

North Farm Cottages (South)

The Welfitts

The Langmore

The Manor

The Forge (now demolished)

Demolished cottages behind war memorial

Ploughman's Cottage

Shepherd's Cottage

Groom's Cottage

The Roost

The Parsonage (The White House)

The Chapel

Autumn Lodge

The Village Hall

Alpine Meadows

"The Office" (demolished in 1980s)

Meadow View

Church Path Cottage

Woodman's Cottage

Chalk Cottage (formerly two cottages)

The Bungalow

Rectory Cottages (formerly two or three cottages)

Post Office Cottages (formerly two cottages - one was the Post Office and the other was occupied by the Manor gardener)

The Rectory

Glebe Cottage

Kendal Cottage (built in the 1970s on the site of two cottages)

Keys Cottage

Dionard House (formerly two cottages)

Gardener's Cottage

Foreman's Cottage

Garthman's Cottage

Waggoner's Cottage

The Coach House

The Grange

and, not physically but spiritually within the parish,

Scallows

There are currently 31 discreet habitations within the parish. In 1801 the number of cottages alone was 49 so in all there would have been about 52 homes (An inquiry into the state of the cottagers in the counties of Lincoln and Rutland by Mr. Robert Gourlay from Arthur Young's Annals of Agriculture, and other useful arts, Volume 37, page 598.)