As its name suggests, it is built from chalk rather than the standard 9 inch brick used for the other estate cottages.
It was probably built some time in the early 19th or late 18th century and converted into one house some time in the mid 20th century. Its original structure is more or less identical to that of Rectory Cottage over the road.
It was occupied by George and Mary Dobbs for most of the second and third quarters of the 20th century until George died on Christmas Day in 1968 and soon afterwards Mary moved next door into The Bungalow. They lived originally in the north half while it was still two cottages and then had the whole place to themselves when it was converted into a single dwelling.
Gill Foot (aka Gill Nadin) used it as an artist's studio for a few years in the late 1970s and early 1980s and more or less lived there for a while after she decided to split up with her husband Tony, before moving to Girsby. Gill was an artist of considerable repute in Lincolnshire. She caused her neighbour across the road a good deal of excitement when painting a nude sitting in an upstairs window.
The cottage was 'done up' and extended and the brick garage built by Charles Bowring in the late 1980s before he was evicted by his wife Kathryn.
George and Mary Dobbs
1957/8 voter's register occupier: George Alexander and Mary Dobbs.
Tom and Doris Winfarrah and their children Ray and
1957/8 voter's register occupier: Harry and Grace E Parker.