In 1828 an Anglo-Saxon burial was discovered by road workers quarrying gravel and was subsequently excavated to uncover some cremation urns.
It seems that after excavation three of the urns were sent to the Society of Scottish Antiquaries by George Oliver . One of them is now on display in the North Lincolnshire Museum, Scunthope (see left), on loan from the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh. It dates from the 5th, 6th or early 7th century A.D. The others seem to be lost. We'll give a reward to anyone who can tell us where they are.
One of the urns on display in the North
Lincolnshire Museum, Scunthorpe.